The Utah Prison Education Project (UPEP) is seeking an Educational Coordinator to support our educational programming at the Utah State Correctional Facility. UPEP is a multidisciplinary effort providing on-site college curriculum and programming to students incarcerated at the Utah State Correctional Facility in Salt Lake City. Our program provides credit-bearing and non-credit-bearing classes, workshops, and guest lecturers for incarcerated individuals. The Educational Coordinator will work closely with our instructors, staff, and community partners to ensure that our programs are of the highest quality and meet the unique circumstances of our students.
The Educational Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day management of our educational programs, including coordinating schedules, processing clearances with the Utah Department of Corrections, and managing non-incarcerated volunteers. The Educational Coordinator will work 5 to 10 hours per week onsite at Utah State Correctional Facility. The ideal candidate will have excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple administrative tasks. Additionally, they will have experience in adult education and working in prison, as well as a strong passion for social justice.
This job requires work on the University of Utah Campus, Utah State Correction Facility and remote
• Recruit, train, and support non-incarcerated instructors and volunteers to ensure high-quality
• Manage email communications with internal and external stakeholders.• Provide ongoing support and professional development to instructors to improve their effectiveness.
• Collaborate with UPEP leadership to develop and implement program goals and objectives, including the
launch of a degree-bearing program.
• Cultivate positive relationships with incarcerated students.
• Manage student transcripts and related documentation, ensuring that they are accurate and up-to-date.
• Maintain positive relationships with Utah Department of Corrections staff, including the prison’s
Education Team, and ensure all necessary clearances are in place.
• Ensure that our instructors have all necessary course materials and resources on a weekly basis.
• Assist students who are being released from the correctional facility in continuing their education, including facilitating program resources and support.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years of related work experience), and two years related experience required. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills also required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Bachelor’s degree in education or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
• Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders
• Strong leadership and management skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to the value of access to higher education and the impact it has on individuals,
families, and communities.
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders.
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and educational equity.
• Ability to work inside Utah State Correctional Facility, including access to transportation
Individuals directly impacted by criminal legal systems are strongly encouraged to apply
Pay Rate Range $45,000/yr. - $50,000/yr.