The College Navigator position supports students in the Higher Education in Prison Program (HEP) by developing processes and procedures for admissions and financial aid support. It also provides incarcerated HEP students with the necessary advising and support to become full degree seeking students at PSU and to access Federal PELL grant money as well as other scholarships and tuition assistance.
In support of these students, the College Navigator performs duties that require considerable confidentiality and sensitivity, tact, and maturity. The College Navigator demonstrates discretion in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential and sensitive nature.
The Higher Education In Prison Program has two College Navigator positions open. Each College Navigator works with one of our partnering community colleges, either primarily in the Salem area prisons, in coordination with Chemeketa Community College, or primarily in the Portland area with Coffee Creek Correctional Facility in coordination with Portland Community College.
$52,824 – $60,500
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years of professional experience.
- Eligibility to receive volunteer credentials with the Oregon Department of Corrections.
- Experience with and/or understanding of Financial Aid and Admissions processes in higher education.
- Strong commitment to student confidentiality and privacy.
- Strong communication, writing, organizational, technology and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Reliable Transportation to the corrections facilities (Coffee Creek, McLaren Youth Facilities, etc.).
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Experience with prison education program.
- Experience working with marginalized populations.
- Experience with reentry processes.
Key Cultural Competencies
- Create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates differences.
- Function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Seek opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
- Adhere to all of PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
- Contributes to a culture of environmental stewardship, practices resource conservation, and actively works toward achieving long-term sustainability goals.