COVID-19 is creating unprecedented conditions for people incarcerated. The Alliance is working to collect and disseminate information and resources from higher education in prison programs that are taking action to support their students and working to adapt their programming. Our COVID-19 Action page contains materials and resources created by/for or that are meaningful for higher education in prison programs from across the United States.
Read the Alliance's Public Statement on COVID-19 and Request for Immediate Action to Ensure the Health and Safety of All People Who Are Currently Incarcerated
Community Calendar: During the COVID pandemic the Alliance is keeping a calendar of events that are relevant to the higher education in prison community
Weekly Debrief: During the COVID pandemic the Alliance has transitioned its Newsletter into a Weekly Debrief in order to keep the higher education in prison community informed and connected. The Weekly Debrief is shared with our mailing list each Friday.
Join the Alliance's mailing list/Newsletter (Newsletter Sign-up) or follow us on social media (@AllianceforHEP)
To join a Community Conversation
In an effort to create a space to share information and resources and share experiences and lessons learned, the Alliance will host community conversations. The calls are open to anyone who would like to share how their program is responding and/or learn from others across the country. Community Conversation dates and times will be shared via the Alliance's mailing list/Newsletter (Newsletter Sign-up), social media (@AllianceforHEP) and the Prison_Ed Listserv (Join the Listserv). Notes from each call will be shared here.
Community Initiatives Archive, Journalism, Documentary, Resource and Writing Projects
Note: The program is no longer taking applications and will begin meeting the week of March 30, 2020
Public Resources and Information
To share a resource
- Email: email@example.com
- Attach the resource as a .pdf or .doc
- Provide a 2-3 sentence description of the resource including: person/group/program it was created by; who it was created for; how it was distributed; and any other relevant information
National and Statewide Advocacy Efforts
Public Advocacy (downloads below)
- Letter to Washington State DOC Secretary Stephen Sinclair (from a coalition of community-based organization, legal service provides and concerned stakeholders)
- Illinois Coalition for Higher Education in Prison (IL-CHEP) sent a letter to the Governor, Lt. Governor, all state legislators, all state’s attorneys, and wardens and sheriffs asking for, among other things, review and early release of vulnerable populations in prisons and jails; reduction in jail intakes; and distribution of cleaning materials.
- IL-CHEP Statement on Advocacy and Mutual Support for Returning Citizens During COVID-19 (Illinois Coalition for Higher Education in Prison)
- COVID-19 Emergency Plan To: Save Thousands Of Lives, Make Prisons Manageable during the Pandemic, Generate Jobs, Minimize Societal Disruption, & Protect Prison Employees and Their Families